Thursday, March 11, 2010

The House of the Devil (2009)

Charlene came in when I was halfway through this movie and asked me how old it was. I could easily have told her 1979 and there would have been nothing about it to indicate it wasn't. But no, it was made last year, and it perfectly replicates a mid-budget horror film from the late seventies or early eighties. Not only that but it's a horror film that would have been a classic, one that for most of its running time builds up a slow sense of dread, then all hell breaks loose in the final act. Really good stuff. If I had been alone at night watching this, I probably would have turned it off.

The director was Ti West, and the main girl is played by Jocelin Donahue, who is the spitting image of Margot Kidder, circa 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment