Sunday, June 12, 2011

Midnight in Paris

Best Woody Allen film in years. A highly entertaining and touching meditation on people who feel they were born in the wrong time period. It's a very personal subject for me because ever since I was a teenager I have felt that I was born in the wrong time. I won't describe the plot of this film because it's best not to know but Owen Wilson was somehow perfect as the Woody-stand-in, I think because he has his own set of tics and nervous habits so that when he delivered the stammering Woody Allen dialogue it sounded very natural. Other good things: Beautifully shot, tons of small funny performances, including a stand-out single scene from Adrien Brody, a perfect ending (you can say what you want about Woody Allen but he has always known how to end a movie). All these good things are only slightly marred by the overly simple and shrill character of Inez, played (very well) by Rachel McAdams. It's a minor fault in a minor masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment