Friday, August 2, 2013

The Film Report


The Way Way Back. Slight but good. An old-fashioned coming-of-age flick set in a real-feeling Massachusetts (lots of it was filmed at Water Wizz). Steve Carell is surprisingly good at playing a dick.


Pacific Rim. I enjoyed the characters in this, but the action scenes, the fights between the monsters and robots, left me confused and slightly bored. Still, a lot of this was fun, but by the end I wanted it to be over and done with.


Sightseers. Another excellent film from Ben Wheatley, director of Kill List. This is a very dark comedy about two sociopaths who take a caravan holiday together and wind up on a kill spree. It was disturbing, and honestly, I can't say I enjoyed it much. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth, which, of course, was the point.


The Heat. Very funny. Melissa McCarthy is sort of a genius, and Sandra Bullock stands out of the way and lets her do her thing.


The Wolverine. Almost a soulful, quiet comic book film, although the last act (the weakest) tries to make up for that fact. I really enjoyed most of this. It was nice to see an X-Man film that didn't need to drag in constant extraneous characters. Nicely filmed and nicely paced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment