Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Tin Roof Blowdown (2007)

I began this book with high expectations and it was a bit of a letdown. James Lee Burke has been writing Dave Robicheaux mysteries set in Louisiana for about twenty years now, and this was his book about Katrina and its aftermath. The descriptions of the storm were terrifying and effective, but then there was just way too much happening. There was a heist involving blood diamonds, a vigilante killing, and oddest of all, a psychopath gunning for Robicheaux's family. He was a character that came out of nowhere and never gelled for me. In fact, I never really understood his point in the story at all.

(I partly read this book because Charlene's sister Jaqui now lives in Louisiana and we are planning a visit. I've been to New Orleans once and never left the French Quarter. It was fun till it wasn't, but now I'm looking forward to going back.)

1 comment:

  1. You know, years ago I read a James Lee Burke book, featuring this same detective. And, it was the same thing: its started out really well and really interestingly-but he just could not stick the landing. Too bad, it had a lot of promise.

    ReplyDelete