Friday, October 22, 2010

The Turquoise Lament (1973)

Now that I've been reading all the Gold Medal and Dell JDM paperbacks I can get my hands on I find I like those a little better than the Travis McGee series. It was Travis McGee of course that got me hooked on JDM back when I was in high school. Apparently, however, I have not read them all, including this one. It's a later McGee, meaning it's a little more depressing, a little more bitter. McGee gets a distress call from a young woman he once knew, named Pidge (why do McGee's lady friends all have such kooky names?) and finds himself romantically involved with the young lady and up against an aw-shucks sociopath. It was a decent read, the beginning good, and the ending great. The middle slogged a little, but just a little. It was a short book.

No comments:

Post a Comment