Thursday, March 8, 2012

The TV Report

Life's Too Short
Ricky Gervais and Stephan Merchant's new show, a mockumentary about actor Warwick Davis, is by far the weakest show they've done yet, but it's still Gervais and Merchant. Davis is funny, and kind of sad, as an obnoxious, delusional version of himself. Honestly, I don't really get the complaints that this show is somehow offensive. On one hand, of course it's offensive, that's the point. But it doesn't seem to me to be particularly offensive because the butt of the jokes is a dwarf.

Justified
How do you top Margo Martindale as Mags Bennett from last season? You can't. But Neal McDonough as an ultra-suave psychopath sent from Detroit to take over Harlan County's Oxy trade is none too shabby.

Downton Abbey
Yeah, it's over but it was another great season. Loved the happy ending. Loved the soapy theatrics. Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess just might be the funniest character on television.

The New Girl
There will come a time when this show's balance of rude humor and twee sensibility will tip into something that doesn't work but right now it does work. Max Greenfield as Schmidt is the second funniest character on television.

Revenge
Still good, but ABC insists on constantly putting this show on hiatus. So we get a couple episodes then a couple of weeks off. How is this good for anyone, and when are they going to get rid of sweeps months? A show this addictive needs to be on every week.

Cougar Town
Abed's favorite show is finally back. If you liked Scrubs you'll like this. It's fast paced and zany and if a joke misses the next one is right behind it. Also, and I don't know why this is, and if I should even admit it, but this show makes me feel good. It's like comfort food.

The Walking Dead
Still have problems with this show. Still watching. I will admit the last few episodes have been the best yet: unpredictable, brutal, loaded with consequence. My favorite part was Andrea's verbal take-down of the entitled Laurie.

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of surprises here, I have to admit. "Revenge" is not one of them-people keep telling me I need to catch up with it, but I feel like I have to wait until the season is over and then play catchup, but I am fascinated by this show nonetheless. "New Girl"? Really? I don't know, I have only seen an episode and can't stand Zooey Deschane, that's my own thing and probably shouldn't comment on it. "The Walking Dead" is hands down the most overrated show on television. If you can't make a story about the zombie apocalypse compelling then just give it up. And they can't: truly awful characters and writing. "Justified" continues to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete