Thursday, December 29, 2011

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

The best Mission Impossible yet. How often does that happen with the fourth in a series?

What made this so entertaining, at least to me, was the combination of Brad Bird's visual skills being brought to bear onto the action sequences, all of which were inventive, beautifully choreographed, and  more importantly, unique. There was stuff in this movie that I had simply not seen in an action flick. The chase sequence through a sandstorm, a prison break-out staged like a three stooges set-piece.

The other thing that made this the best MI film yet was that the writers finally decided to make a film that was truly about the team aspect of the IMF, and not just about Ethan Hunt who, as played by Tom Cruise, is the least interesting part of any MI film. There was true teamwork in this film, and the supporting cast -- Simon Pegg, Paula Patton, Jeremy Renner -- get story arcs and almost as much screen time as Tom.

One last thing, and this is a little spoilerish, I guess, but one of the things I really enjoyed about this installment was how un-twisty it was. It was a straight-up good guys versus bad guys spy flick, and there were no double crosses, and no ripped-off masks, etcetera.

I'd go back to see this one again on an IMAX screen but, truth be told, I'm not sure I could stomach the Burj Khalifa tower sequence, when Ethan Hunt (and, apparently, a heavily-strapped-in Tom Cruise) dances around the outside of the sickeningly tall Dubai building. As it was it gave me vertigo on the relatively small screen I saw it on.

Below are some more images from the well-filmed movie:






No comments:

Post a Comment