Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sucker Punch

There's a lot I could say about this movie but I haven't quite wrapped my brain around it yet. Suffice to say, the critics who panned this as a pure exploitation flick by Zach Snyder, completely missed this film. Not only is this a movie that essentially critiques the fanboy fetishization of women, it is a very very dark film about abuse, mind control, and disassociation.

There are many flaws in this movie, and I understand anyone who says that it's ultimately a chore to get through. I found the action sequences visually impressive but boring in the way that the action scenes in the second two Matrix films were boring. The film is also compromised, I think, by its PG-13 rating, fairly inappropriate for its subject matter.

Check it out if you want to see a video game version of Mulholland Drive, Showgirls, and Black Swan. Interesting film and future cult classic.

3 comments:

  1. found it exceptionally strange. also, weird to watch on an airplane with people disapprovingly stealing glances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet (I am bit Zack Snyder-ed out) but maybe I'll give it a chance now. At any rate, Kim Morgan felt the same as you about it,

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is exceptionally strange. I think, even if you don't like it, you have to admire it's bizarre ambition. Kevin, check it out at some point--it's much more interesting than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete