Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Remakes ...


A trailer and poster just came out for Kimberly Peirce's upcoming remake of Carrie. Looks good, and I actually think the time is right for a new Carrie film.

But it got me thinking a little about remakes. Thing is: they don't really bother me the way they bother other people. First of all, remakes don't replace the films they remake, certainly not in today's day and age of on-demand entertainment. If you love the DePalma version you don't have to watch the new one, and and if you love the Stephen King novel you don't have to watch either films.

The problem is that a lot of remakes are terrible. It's true. There was obviously no reason for Gus Van Sant's Psycho, or the Sharon Stone version of Diabolique, or the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes. But none of those films took anything away from the original. And there have been good remakes. The 1939 The Wizard of Oz. The 1944 Gaslight. Truth is, I love the American version of Let the Right One In more than the Swedish one.

Just my two cents, for what's it worth. I'm pulling for the Carrie remake. I don't think it will be better than either the DePalma or the King novel, but how cool would it be if it was?

No comments:

Post a Comment