Friday, April 23, 2010

Forrest Gump (1994)

A movie I'd never seen. It looked trite and overlong in 1994 and I avoided it, and have been avoiding it ever since. However, recently trapped under a volcanic ash plume in Paris, and with no English television, I finally watched this entire movie, albeit in French. First off, I don't think I really missed anything not watching it in English. I understood it all. Second, it was fairly trite and overlong, although it had its moments, most of those moments created by its excellent cinematography and still-impressive special effects. For instance, I really enjoyed watching Forrest become a world-beater at Ping Pong. I enjoyed that more than the ridiculous death scene of Jenny from AIDs. But really: What is this movie about? If Forrest wasn't a simpleton there is no movie. It's just some guy being photoshopped through a flipbook of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment