Thursday, August 2, 2012

If I had a Sight and Sound ballot ...

These would be my picks. They are not necessarily my ten favorite films (my desert island flicks) but for various reasons these are the ten that seem to me to be the "greatest." I would elaborate on that but that would involve all sorts of thinking.

The Rules of the Game (Renoir, 1939)


Only Angels Have Wings (Hawks, 1939)


Notorious (Hitchcock, 1946)


The Third Man (Reed, 1949)


Singin' in the Rain (Donen, 1952)


Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954)


Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954)


Some Like it Hot (Wilder, 1959)


Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)


Mulholland Dr. (Lynch, 2001)


1 comment:

  1. Your list here actually brings up another good point: you notice how comedies are hardly ever in contention for these sorts of things?

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete