Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What I'm Looking Forward To ...

I've often thought that if no one created any more artwork--no more movies, or books, or music--that I would be fine, that I could spend the rest of my life still finding books to read and movies to watch and old TV series to revisit. I'd be fine.

That said, here is what I am currently looking forward to:

Skyfall

Ben Whishaw as the Quartermaster.

I'd be looking forward to a new James Bond film even if they were bringing back Roger Moore in a leisure suit. But this looks good: a continuation of the Daniel Craig grit mixed with a few Bond tropes, including a new Q.


First edition book cover.

It's been a long while since an Agatha Christie novel made it to the big screen, but director Neil LaBute will be making a version of Crooked House with a script by Julian Fellowes. It's one of my favorite books. I just hope they do it as a period piece.

Django Unchained

Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen, a very evil Uncle Ben.
One of these days Tarantino will make a bad film (no one has a perfect record) but I don't think it's going to happen here. I'll be there opening day.

William Boyd's Bond novel
Nothing to do with Boyd's book except that it's Bond and a book.
One of my favorite contemporary writers, William Boyd, has been commissioned to pen a Bond novel and he'll be setting it in the 1960s. I feel like this is being written specifically for me.

Tom Hiddleston as Henry V.
The BBC has grouped four of Shakespeare's history plays--Richard II, Henry the IV parts 1 & 2, and Henry V--into a television series starring, among many others, Tom Hiddleston, Ben Whishaw, Jeremy Irons, Patrick Stewart, and David Suchet. I don't know if this will be broadcast over here but I'm counting on it, PBS, or if not PBS, then BBC America.

Fall


Yes, the season. Sweaters. Football games. Cool nights. Apple cider. Chili on the stove. Bring it on.

1 comment: