Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Kiss Before Dying


Simply, one of the best suspense thrillers I've ever read. I don't know why I haven't read this before since I'm a big fan of Ira Levin's other works, especially his 1967 novel Rosemary's Baby, and his 1978 play Death Trap. This novel was his first, published in 1953. It tells the story of a sociopathic gold-digger and his involvement with three sisters.


What makes the book particularly compelling is that Levin gives you information as you go along (this is not a who-dun-it), and yet he hides information that you don't even know he's hiding. There are several great reveals throughout this novel.


There have been two American film versions of this novel, and I haven't seen either, but will try and check out the film made in 1956 that stars Robert Wagner.


No comments:

Post a Comment