Monday, April 22, 2013

Upstream Color

In my continuing quest to see one movie this year that I like, (and also to get out of the house and away from tragic Boston news for a couple of hours), I went to see Shane Carruth's new film Upstream Color. I liked his first feature Primer, and this movie has gotten pretty ecstatic reviews from all around, but it didn't really work for me. Despite some beautiful digital photography and a good central performance from Amy Seimetz, it's a movie that wallows in its own incomprehensibility. But if you put the plot together (it involves worms, hypnosis, and a pig farm) I'm not sure it's a very good sci-fi plot at all. Instead, it works hard at being about the way humans have lost connections with nature (maybe), but it never struck an emotional cord with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment