Sunday, January 9, 2011

The King's Speech

About what I expected it would be but I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter are all perfect in their respective roles, but Colin Firth really shines as a man not just burdened with a speech impediment but crippled with fear. As someone who has occasionally dealt with social anxiety, and constantly deals with extreme anxiety about public speaking, this movie gave me sweaty palms at times. It was also a film about friendship and eccentricity, and about the power of the media in the modern age. Lots of good small performances as well, including Michael Gambon as the dying King, Guy Pearce as Edward, who gives up the throne to marry the American Wallis Simpson, and Jennifer Ehle (reunited with her Darcy) as the speech therapist's plain-Jane wife.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see this. I know I'm going to love it. Colin Firth can do very little wrong as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for Geoffrey Rush, I adore him, especially in those pirate movies. He always seems to be enjoying himself.

    Thanks for showing up at my blog and becoming a follower, Peter. :)

    ReplyDelete