Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The last scene of Saboteur

I saw Saboteur again last night on the big screen at the Brattle in Harvard Square. It's very middling Hitchcock, a film that never completely comes together, in plot or vision. I do, however, love the last scene, the only famous moment in the movie when the hero and villain climb out onto the torch of the Statue of Liberty. One of the things I love about the sequence is how varied the shots are. We don't just get an establishing shot of the statue followed by close-ups of the action, we get this complex series of Matte shots. Here's a few of them below. Maybe next I'll re-watch the first X-Men film and compare their sequence that takes place on top of theStatue of Liberty. I remember the action being great but I don't recall any cuts to a longshot of the statue at all.








1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your insights about this film sequence, one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete