Friday, November 6, 2009

1937 - Ten Favorite Films

Great, great year. Cary Grant broke out the same year Walt Disney did.

The Awful Truth
Pretty perfect. The chemistry between Cary Grant and Irene Dunne is uncanny.

Double Wedding
This isn't great, but it's funny, and William Powell and Myrna Loy are in it.

Grand Illusion
I saw this for the first time about a year ago. I still prefer Rules of the Game but the farmhouse sequence was one of the most heartbreaking things I've seen.

Lost Horizon
I love this story so much. The ending haunted me when I was a little kid.

Pepe Le Moko
Visually stunning French crime film. And the inspiration for Pepe Le Pew.

The Prisoner of Zenda
Much better than the Stewart Granger version in the 1950s.

Shall We Dance
Not one of the best Astaire/Rogers vehicles but the singing and dancing are beautiful, as always.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The first feature-length animated film and it's knocked out of the park. Remarkable.

Stage Door
A great movie. I don't understand why this isn't better known. And it shows that Ginger Rogers really knew how to act, and not just dance.

Young and Innocent
Pretty fun early Hitchcock but a little disappointing if you consider he made it between The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment