Thursday, November 12, 2009

1945 - Ten Favorite Films

Four out of ten of these are from England. And those four are my favorites on this list.

And Then There Were None
If I made movies instead of just watching them, I would try and make a perfect version of Ten Little Indians, Agatha Christie's greatest book. This isn't it, but it's good.

Brief Encounter
Sad film about lonely people. It has not aged at all.

Christmas in Connecticut
Pretty dumb in places, but I love the story idea and Barbara Stanwyk, as always, is great.

Dead of Night
My favorite anthology film, and one of my favorite horror films of all time. The framing device, in which a man arrives at a home and realizes he's living a nightmare he's had before, gets to me every time.

I Know Where I'm Going!
If I were dying, and I was given one last film to watch, I would probably choose this.

The Lost Weekend
Somewhat dated now, but an impressive film about alcoholism, made better by brilliant actor Ray Milland.

Mildred Pierce
Too melodramatic for me, really, but I like it and Joan Crawford is very good.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
For George Sanders alone. One of his great roles.

Spellbound
Not the best Hitchcock. Stilted at times and the score is oppressive, but it's still Hitchcock, and Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck are in it, and Salvador Dali designed the dream sequence.

Woman in Green
Another good entry in the Basil Rathbone series of Sherlock Holmes movies. I wish they still made 68-minute genre pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment