Tuesday, December 8, 2009

1960 - Ten Favorite Films

I think it's interesting that six of these films are in color and four are in black-and-white. That's not that interesting but I couldn't think of anything else to say about 1960.

The ApartmentA perfect movie from Billy Wilder. Saddest comedy ever.

BreathlessSaw this fairly recently and it lived up to its hype.

Inherit the WindShould be required viewing in high school science classes across the country.

Midnight LaceA solid thriller that I like more than I probably should. It's not terribly scary but I love Rex Harrison's and Doris Day's flat in London, and there are nice cameos by Myrna Loy and Herbert Marshall.

Peeping TomThe ever-adventurous Michael Powell makes a creepier version of Psycho before Psycho.

PsychoChanged movies forever. One of my favorite performances of all time from Anthony Perkins.

Purple NoonThe first filmed version of The Talented Mr. Ripley. A stylish thriller from Rene Clement.

SpartacusSlave revolt epics should not be this much fun.

Tunes of GloryKind of an Alec Guinness one-man-show. He plays the commander of a peace-time Scottish barracks who starts to lose his marbles.

Where the Boys AreBy no means a great movie but I find this very watchable. Is there a better Spring Break movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment