Monday, December 14, 2009

Poetry Monday

Two by Wendy Cope:

Loss

The day he moved out was terrible
That evening she went through hell.
His absence wasn't a problem
But the corkscrew had gone as well.


Faint Praise

Size isn’t everything. It’s what you do
That matters, darling, and you do it quite well
In some respects. Credit where credit’s due–
You work, you’re literate, you rarely smell.
Small men can be aggressive, people say,
But you are often genial and kind,
As long as you can have things all your way
And I comply, and do not speak my mind.
You look all right. I’ve never been disgusted
By paunchiness. Who wants some skinny youth?
My friends have warned me that you can’t be trusted
But I protest I’ve heard you tell the truth.
Nobody’s perfect. Now and then, my pet,
You’re almost human. You could make it yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment